Wednesday 14 April 2004

Long time no see

Oh dear.  It's been a while since I've blogged.  It's been almost as long since I walked up any hills.  BAD GIRL!  I'll start again soon, I promise. So here's what I've been doing instead: Genealogy, sewing, fixing up computers, Easter camp, running a club. Genealogy Among other things, I've been trying to find out more about my Swedish great-grandfather who was born in Göteborg about 1862 and came to New Zealand in 1895.  Right now I'm trying to find his birth record, which means hunting through Swedish record books on microfilm at the LDS. Sewing (1) I signed up for a pattern-making course, which is giving me some useful skills, but requires me to spend time at home sewing between the weekly classes.  Most of the time this is okay. Sewing (2) I came up with a nice design for bottle bags, and made a few to sell at the Easter camp.  The idea is that, at medievalist events, you don't want nasty modern drink bottles and suchlike spoiling the atmosphere.  So you put your bottle inside an appropriate-looking cloth bag, and although it's not really period to drink out of cloth bags either, it doesn't look quite so egregiously wrong.  More people should use these things at events. Fixing up computers The usual stuff, more or less.  They don't work quite the way they're supposed to, so people call me.  Much more of this and I'll have to start charging - but then it would be a job and I don't want that kind of job exactly. Easter Camp This deserves a whole blog entry to itself, so it's going to get one. Running a club Okay, so it doesn't take a lot of time normally, but there is a feast planned for June and the time to start swinging into action is now.  More about the feast later.

No comments: