Tuesday 24 August 2010

Battling the blues

I don't know if it's the short winter days, lack of sleep, or just because, but the black dog has been hanging around me a bit for the last couple of weeks. That'll be why I haven't blogged much.  I have been keeping up with the exercise though - it's a good thing to do, as the endorphins help a lot.

When it comes to strategies for dealing with depression, getting enough sleep is high on the list. It's hard enough to overcome that "can't be bothered" feeling without adding the opportunity for the "I'm too tired" excuse.

Another thing that helps no end is turning off news programmes - it's mostly bad anyway - and instead listening to music that cheers you up.  Personally, I like Radio Hauraki for this.

And one last thing - avoid looking directly at the mountain of work ahead of you, whatever it might be, and focus on making progress with little tasks. Give yourself a pat on the back, even for the smallest achievements.

No comments: