Wednesday 19 October 2005

The importance of safe sox

Yesterday I didn't do a serious walk, but I did a few little bits here and there, from the supermarket to the library and suchlike. I was down to my last pair of emergency socks (because I hadn't done my washing). Alas, one of the socks finally developed a definite hole in a spot at the back of my heel where the edge of the shoe is the most irritating, so now I'll have to perform daily contortions to apply dressing strips. This will cramp my style a little, but I'm determined not to let it stop me walking. It's pretty minor really, just an annoyance. I discovered a new thing to console myself with today - at least I don't have Guinea Worm. I saw an item about this hideous sub-Saharan parasite on BBC World and I can't even bring myself to describe it, so just go and read the Wikipedia entry if you want to know about it. I'll just say that if you ever go to impoverished remote parts of Africa, be very careful about the drinking water, make sure it's filtered.

No comments: