Friday 21 October 2005

Rewarded for going out on a windy day

Yesterday I ran out of time for walking before it rained - but I had a good excuse, I was working on my CV so that I could apply for a job. Today the weather was windy and I nearly talked myself out of going for a walk. But I decided, on the way home from the shops, to stop and see if it was sheltered enough in my old hang-out, the Colonial Knob Scenic Reserve. It wasn't too bad, so I headed up the track for ten minutes then turned around and came back. When I got back to the car, my reward was waiting for me, in the form of two big fat kereru (NZ native pigeon, see the Wikipedia entry too) feeding on the foliage of a small tree. So I spent another ten minutes sneaking up on them and trying to get a decent photo with my phone-camera. These birds are pretty easy to sneak up on, so I suppose it's no wonder they're a threatened species. Unfortunately it was late in the day and the camera does not perform well in low-light conditions. These two are best I got, and I've had to adjust them. From now on, I'm going to start keeping my real camera in the car.

No comments: