Saturday 3 January 2004

It's another weird-weather day - brilliant sunshine out one window, low cloud hugging the hill out the other. And windy, dammit. Windy season should be more or less over by now, I would have thought. So off I went to one of the more sheltered tracks on Colonial Knob to see if I could shake off my grumpy mood.  It seemed like no time at all before I got to the reservoir; in fact it was probably about 15 minutes and I didn't need as many stops to catch my breath as on previous occasions, so I must be doing something right.  From here I had a choice of walking along beside the water and then up to meet with the gravel road, or up and over the ridge to another intersection.  I didn't fancy the gravel road in the wind, and I'm here for some serious exercise anyway, so up and over the ridge it was.  The signposted intersection at the bottom of this next little valley is a bit out of date; it points the way to Reservoir No. 1 and describes the route as a bypass to Broken Hill carpark.  Well, I went round that way once before,  Reservoir No. 1 collapsed several decades ago and is now just a grassy clearing, and yes the track does loop back onto itself at a point quite near the entrance, but there is one place where you have to scramble down a bank and pick your way carefully across a stream if you don't want to get your feet wet.  There might have been a bridge once, but if there was, it has long since been washed away.  I wasn't dressed for the scramble down the bank, and I wanted to keep going so I took the other path.  This was terra incognita for me, but according to the map it goes up to the top of Colonial Knob.  Not that I would have enough time to go that far; I looked at my watch and decided I would keep going until 4:30 and then turn around.  The track here is a little harder going, it's fairly steep with occasional big steps, and "ladders" formed by tree roots.  I don't mind the uphill, it's what I'm here for, but some of the steps were a bit high for my short legs to cope with easily.  Eventually I reached one that was just too much; I sat on it for a few minutes and it was a good height for sitting on, probably even for someone taller than me.  I could have climbed up okay, but what bothered was that I would soon have to climb down again and the thought was really not appealing.  I also thought about how the track would turn to mud if it rained, and so even though it was still ten minutes to my 4:30 deadline I turned and went back the way I had come.  I briefly thought about going via the bypass track but decided against it and carried on up to the top of the ridge.  At various points along the track there are pink plastic triangles nailed to the trees, these indicate where the possum control bait lines start.  A notice at the beginning of the track says "do not follow the pink triangles" but at the top of the ridge where I was, there was a clear track to follow and I knew not to mess with the bait stations so I wandered along the top of the ridge a little way until I got to a little grassy clearing and the first bait station.  By now I had used up my spare ten minutes and decided to head back.  Down to the No. 2 Reservoir (the one that's still there, see a previous post) and then back down the track, across to Spicer Park for a change of scenery and an easy walk back to the car.  It's always a bit of an anti-climax getting back into the car and going away.  The walk did the trick though, I'm not feeling so grumpy any more.  I dropped off some stuff at the recycling station on the way home, which always makes me feel virtuous. No new photos today because I didn't take the camera, but here's one from my last visit to the area; an unexpected concrete artifact near the track, it's obviously something to do with the reservoir and its former purpose of supplying water.

No comments: