Thursday 18 December 2003

Somewhat less strenuous

Sue and I went for a stroll in the Botanic Garden.  It was quite a contrast to the effort of two days ago!  I didn't take any photos this time but here's one I prepared earlier (from one of my previous visits).  Although we didn't go and look at this sculpture we did get fairly close to it.  It's on the top of a place called Druids' Hill (don't ask me, there are no Druids there that I can see) and it's like a giant ear-trumpet, looks as though it's made of coiled tube, and mounted in a swivelling frame so that it can be swung around.  It's large enough that even a stout person such as myself can stand with head and shoulders inside the bottom of it, I imagine that if one was to shout it would make quite a noise.  According to a nearby plaque it's a "Listening and Viewing Device" created by Andrew Drummond in 1994, a joint project between the Wellington Sculpture Trust and Wellington City Council.  It's kind of interesting and I like that it can be played with, but somehow I still don't really see the point.  Maybe that's exactly what the point is.
(Posted retrospectively)

No comments: